Saturday, April 28, 2007

Getting a start on the Carp League

This is the first full year of the American Carp Society Carp League Competition; and I signed up to compete in the second and third quarters of this year. I thought it might be a bit difficult to be competitive with the typical NEWFishingland Winter and Late Fall... but currently I'm finding "Spring" enough of a challenge!

I have managed one countable fish (over 10lb); last weekend I managed to get myself tied to a short and fat 11 pounder, hooked on the float fished at 40 yds, which was fun. Most of my floatfishing for carp is at fairly close range, so it was great to find a venue where you need to cast a bit to be able to get amongst the fish. This was also my first carp from this new venue; it was "created" last year when the authorities remodeled what was a swamp into a new piece of bank. I'm hoping for great things from this piece of carping real estate in future years.

However, that's been my only bright spot so far this spring; variable temperatures, winds and general lack of rain have upset my plans so far. I'm philosophical though, when everything lines up I just know I'm gonna haul! :o)

No comments: