Saturday, March 17, 2007

Steelhead Spring?

It's mid-March, and I'm wondering; are we looking at a Steelhead Spring this year? I'd be the first to admit that we probably need a little more rain... but try telling that to the Manitowoc River-bank residents after last weeks ice-melt! I didn't hear too much in the local press, but I'm guessing that as the water was only 6 inches below the bank, that someone was flooded out?

In the streams and rivers I like to fish, plenty of March and early April rain is very welcome. I'm not one of those guys who cluster shoulder-to-shoulder in a few well-known spots on our Lake Michigan streams; for me that is more social experiment than fishing! No, I'm to be found up in the wilder, streamier places, even though I'm probably trading numbers of fish I'd like to believe that I'm receiving a better quality experience? That definitely means I need more water in Spring, to maximise my chances of Steelhead running through my chosen stream.

I'm not difficult to spot when I'm out; I'll be the guy with the 13 foot or 20 foot UK-style river float-fishing rods, coupled with either my beloved Young's Centerpin reel or a medium-size spinning reel, depending on the flow and volume of water on the day. I find the combination of a well-balanced float & jig/float & fly outfit, together with a rod, reel & line specially developed for river fishing, gives me maximum chance of catching whatever fish make it past the horde of anglers downstream, to the more peaceful stretches I wander. That's also one of the reasons why I need the extra space, my techniques are designed for drifting float & jig/fly down the fast water/slow water "crease" in the flow... sometimes I'll hook a Steelhead within 5 or 6 feet of the drift, sometimes I'll be hooking my fish 50 or more yards downstream!

If anyone is interested about this method of catching lots of Steelhead, without continual retying bottom-bouncer rigs (our freestone streams hereabouts can be tough on rigs!), then let me know, as I have several articles and can give you the skinny on the tackle you will need to be successful. Only one problem... you may turn into a lone Steelheader, rather than just one of the crowd? You have been warned!

No comments: