Monday, March 19, 2007

I caught... and so did the DNR!

It was a sunny and cold afternoon, with the wind blowing straight down the Fox River. Conditions didn't look good for anything other than a Northern or two, but there's always a chance of a reasonable Carp in this spot, so I spent a few minutes spodding in my "Winter Mix"!

I fished 2 rods, one with a sliding snap-tackle (otherwise known as a sliding quick-strike rig; I make my own as I can only buy fixed quick-strike rigs here, and they don't work well at anything over 30 yds range) fished at 45 yds at the bottom of the drop-off. The bait of choice was the largest fathead I could find in Green Bay; I was confident that it would attract old Esox if she was in the 'hood. The other rod was fished at 55 yds, next to what can only be described as a "Snag Pit" of wood, metal and piping. A simple hair rig on a 6 inch snell to a large Feeder. Bait was 3 sunflower seeds and a chunk of field corn for visibility, feeder was filled with Winter Mix bound with quick-dissolving flour; I had my fingers crossed for a Carp.

I expected a long wait for any action. After all of 2 or maybe 3 minutes, there was a confident, medium fast run on the Snag Pit rod; I struck and walked backwards and to my right, all in the same motion. This stopped the fish from diving straight into the snag; it's amazing what a 12 foot 2.75lb test curve rod can do! I followed this up with lots of right-hand side strain, as I hopped precariously down the riprap to my "net position"... I like to plan well in advance! Although the fish hadn't managed to run through the snag pit, it proceeded to kite to the left, where there are more snags to run around; so the fight developed into a short but hectic tug of war, with the rod continuously hooped well past it's test curve until I'd managed to drag the fish into open water.

Once in an area where it could run safely, it became obvious to both of us (me and the fish!) that matters had reached a conclusion in my favor, and within a couple of minutes a fat & healthy 8-9lb Carp rolled over the edge of my net. And that was it for the rest of the day... one bite, one fish! Oh well, it's a cold start to March, these things happen.

However, I wasn't the only one to catch. There were about 6 or 7 other guys fishing close by, as this is a park area and has a boat launch. I was waiting for my next fish (positive thinking!) when a voice behind me asked what I was fishing for; I looked round to see a DNR Warden. After checking my '06 license, and asking about the gear I was using (a constant topic with other anglers), he went over to check the other guys licenses. Apparently, he did a lot better than I did that day, as he hooked, played and landed 3 Guys, whereas I only banked the 1 Carp! When I saw his bag, I felt a little sorry for the them; it was obvious that he wasn't interested in catch & release... However, to his credit, they were dispatched cleanly and compassionately.

Which brings me to my question; was I wrong to feel a little sorry for them? After all, if you fish in WI, you need to carry a valid license with you. If you don't buy a license and don't get caught, then I suppose the rest of us who have bought licenses are subsidizing your fishing? I was just relieved that I hadn't somehow left my license at home. Make sure you always take your license with you when out fishing; as it's unlikely that the DNR will practice catch & release on you!

No comments: