Sunday, March 18, 2007

Gone Fishin'!

The sun is shining and I'm about to go fishing... too bad the temp is only going to rise to around 40 today. So, where to go? Is it an attempt at big Browns at Kewaunee? Possibly later in the evening, but it's way too bright right now. How about a big Walleye at De Pere? Again, the sunlight thing is a factor for me; I will fish for big Walleye under a bright sun if I don't have any other options... but I bitch and moan all the time I'm doing it!

Am I the only one facing this problem this time of year? It often seems that March and April are either perfect fishing weather (if you don't mind being half-drowned and blown inside out at the same time), or we have a series of sunny, low temperature days that don't make it easy to catch anything. I'm a big fan of nasty wet & windy weather for most of my favorite fish at this time of the year; it always seems to me that when it's hard to actually fish properly, that's just when the fish are most obliging!

So, I have to make the best of what I've got, and a couple of options spring to mind. There may be a chance at a fat & lazy big old hen Pike at this time of the year, particularly if I can find some sunny, mud-bottomed bay without any cold breezes blowing across it. The other option is fishing for Panfish and/or Carp, somewhere near a warm-water outlet. Of course, the ideal would be a warm-water outlet into a sunny, mud-bottomed bay! Wait a minute, I can think of a couple of places that might fit that category, I'll let you know how I do...

No comments: